Thursday, July 1, 2010

Is Summer Over Yet?

Okay, I am feeling desperate to get on mentally solid ground with the kids this summer. It is hard getting asked, "what are we doing today," or "what are we doing tomorrow," or "can I have a friend over" every 5 seconds!!! It is also hard to hear all the food needs, whines, and complaints. I know they are growing children, but do they REALLY need to eat every 30 minutes? It may be cheaper to send them to the Boys and Girls Club after-all!! I really just want to keep my sanity by hiding in my bedroom, but I feel like that might be setting a bad example. I am not sure I am a good activities director, because I keep hearing myself say, "JUST GO PLAY". What does a good stay-at-home summertime mom do? Well......

  • she gets up an hour before the kids do everyday and makes them a wonderful nourishing breakfast full of fresh fruits and grains!
  • she has a large written out schedule with each days activities and plans hanging up and refers to that during said breakfast.
  • she organizes and joins in on all activities.
  • she has included chore time and learning time for the kids during this schedule.
  • she lets the kids help make lunch.
  • she bakes goodies with them at least once a week.
  • she doesn't yell or lose her patients with them.
  • she finds joy in every moment with her kids.
  • she hears how loved and wonderful she is from her kids constantly.
OKAY, is this you?? NO PRESSURE! I am sure I am forgetting some things too!! I am reminded of one of my favorite quotes by Dr. Kevin Leman, "You just have to be a good parent to raise great kids". So, maybe hiding in my bedroom for a short period each day is acceptable?? I hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment