Thursday, July 8, 2010

Neurotic Dependency

Today I want to share with you some comments made by author Eugene Peterson that I found in a study I am currently doing.  I think there is so much to think about in these comments!  I find something new every time I read them.  I hope you find them as relevant.

"But if we are not to be proud, clamorous, arrogant persons, what are we to be?  Mousy,cringing, insecure ones?  Well, not quite.  Having realized the dangers of pride, the sin of thinking too much of ourselves, we are suddenly in danger of another mistake, thinking too little of ourselves.  There are some who conclude that since the great Christian temptation is to try to be everything, the perfect Christian solution is to be nothing.  And so we have the problem of the doormat Christian and the dishrag saint: the person upon whom everyone walks and wipes their feet, the person who is used by others to clean up the mess of everyday living and then is discarded.  These people then compensate for their poor lives by weepily clinging to God, hoping to make up for the miseries of everyday life by dreaming of luxuries in heaven. Christian faith is not neurotic dependency but childlike trust. We do not have a God who forever indulges our whims but a God whom we trust with our destinies."

These are thoughts that expand on Psalm 131:1.

     LORD, my heart is not proud;
    my eyes are not haughty. 
    I do not get involved with things
    too great or too difficult for me. 




Don't you love it!?!?!  

No comments:

Post a Comment