Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Reflections: Part 2

Hi Everyone,

I am sorry that I am just now getting another post out.  It has been a bumpy landing back into my life as a mother, wife, daughter, and children's director.  However, I THINK I am back now.  God didn't just teach me a quick lesson in trusting, faith, and obedience then leave me to go handle someone else.  These lessons continue, and I am thankful since I am a very slow learner in these areas!

 I have been asked so many questions since I have returned, so I thought I would make this entry a little Q&A!  Feel free to comment with questions I didn't hit on too.

Q:  How has it been coming back here after seeing what you saw there?

A:  That is DEFINITELY part of the "bumpy landing" I mentioned.  Before I went, I knew coming back to my gluttonous world would be a challenge, and it is.  I keep comparing it to the death of my brother.  (I lost my brother, who was just 21 months younger than me, in a car accident 10 years ago.)  After he died, I was mystified and angry that the world seemed to be going on as usual.  I was mortified at how so many people seemed to act crazy about such small & unimportant issues.  I do feel a little frustrated at seeing people sweat the small stuff, but overall, it is different.  The fact is,  I couldn't do anything about his death.  He was gone, and there was nothing anyone could do about it.  In contrast, coming back from a culture that puts little value in human life and believes in a ridiculous religion has me frustrated, focused, and motivated.  I CAN do something about this.  My GOD is real, and I see how HE is the salt and the light in such a real way.  I want to be His salt and light, hands and feet, and love wherever I can.  These are my thoughts now that I am back.  While flying out of Cambodia, I watched in tears while half of my busted open heart stayed there.

Q: How do the girls end up in the SEX TRADE there?

A:  Desperate people do desperate things, and it is a HUGE problem in this region.  The girls are beautiful, and more than that, their families are living in poverty.  In their culture, the oldest daughter provides for the family.  NO PRESSURE.  So, the selling of a daughter with a promise of some of her wages, is very prevalent.  In some cases daughters choose to go willingly being promised a job description completely different. Selling children to child labor rings is prevalent in general.  See what I mean about the loss of value on human life?? When this trade first started booming it was mostly brothel situations; according to Stephanie Freed (US RAPHA DIRECTOR), it has all become more underground now which makes it harder to rescue the girls and prosecute the perpetrators.

Q: How do the girls get to RAPHA HOUSE?

A:  The government and organized freedom fighters have connections to RAPHA HOUSE and use them as one of their placements options.  They call and bring them girls as they are rescued.

Q: What do the girls do while at RAPHA HOUSE?

A:  At the safe houses the focus is on the girls healing.  Each individual girl requires different things, but they all receive counseling, schooling, and medical attention.  They also have justice fought for them if their case has those options.  After they get settled into their healing process, they begin to learn skills that can one day help them maintain their freedom and provide them an income.  They learn things like sewing, cosmetology, silk weaving, and jewelry making.  Once they are ready and old enough, they move to the Freedom Center where they hone in on these types of skills they need for their independent reintegrated futures.

I have to go now as it is time for me to pick up my kids, make dinner, and come back here to church to lead Wednesday night programming for the children.

I want you all to know that RAPHA HOUSE also works hard on the prevention side of this horrible issue as well!  I hope to share more about that soon.

Please pray for the girls and the STAFF.  The staff in Cambodia are Christians living in a 95% Buddhist country.  Meeting these heroes of my faith has definitely changed my life!!

LOVE TO YOU ALL!!!

   

No comments:

Post a Comment