Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Homesick for Cambodia

Hi everyone.  I am so sorry it has taken me so long to post something new.  I guess I am out of my post-trip fog and have found my way back to wife and mommy life again.  I will never quite see things the same after meeting the RAPHA HOUSE girls and staff, but I can incorporate my experiences and changed heart into my daily life by being sensitive and in-tune with what is really happening in the world around us.

My heart literally ACHES when I think about Cambodia and the people I met there.  I do feel homesick for them which is something I never would have predicted.  I very much thought I would feel a sense of, "check, been there - done that, now what?".  That just hasn't been the case at all.  Cambodia has a lasting grip.
 
Chad and I really do hope to go back together within the coming years.  He needs to relate to this "grip" and see what it really has to do with us. When you visit such a dark place, you notice God's light even more.  It made me want to shine my light there.  It is distinct, effective, and noticeable there.  I haven't been able to figure out how to work that out here yet.  We will wait for God to guide us in the way we should go.

The truth is, the darkness is world wide.

I thought I would share some shocking facts about the modern day form of slavery called HUMAN TRAFFICKING:

1. Trafficking is the world's 3rd largest business.  It comes after DRUGS and GUNS.  It is currently a $7 BILLION dollar business.

2. The UN estimates that 700,000 to 4 million women and children are trafficked around the world for purposes of forced prostitution and labor.

3. Victims of trafficking are subject to gross human rights violations such as torture, rape, forced abortions, starvation, diseases, threat of murder and torture to their family members.


4. Currently Cambodia's illegal sex trade is a $500 million a year business.


5 There are statistics for the USA alone that are mind blowing.  I will save those for next time.


For more facts:
www.raphahouse.org

3 comments:

  1. Tara,
    I understand completely. Vance and I were just talking this week about how difficult it is to process everything when you know you will never look at things the same again. Praying we all take what we experienced and use it to make a difference for these precious little girls. Love and miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you and the rest of the team Lynda VERY MUCH. I wish we could all take our families to Cambodia and spend Christmas there with the RAPHA girls and staff. That would put me in the Christmas spirit for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen SISTAS!!!!!!!!!! I love how you write. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE YOU and how you articulated your heart and the Facts!

    Blessings to you all!!!!

    ReplyDelete