Saturday, June 19, 2010

communication

Okay, I am blogging today to make up for missed days this week. I can't BELIEVE how busy this summer has already been! We were at the pool everyday this week for swim team practice and swimming lessons for the wee ones. My children have evolved into FISH!

I have heard lots of folks talking about communication breakdowns in marriages and family situations lately, so my thoughts today pertain to that! The most GENIUS thing I have learned in the last few years is the 5 Love Languages by Dr. Gary Chapmen!!! We have had The Purpose Driven Life, The Prayer of Jabez, Wild at Heart, and many other books and studies that have been wildly popular over the last decade and rightfully so! However, the one I apply to my life the most is the love languages. At the end of the day, life application is where it is at!! Won't you agree?

Learning my husband's love language is instrumental in predicting what he wants and needs from me which leads him to feel as loved as he can in our marriage. That being said, I still fail a lot of the time at meeting those needs. However, being aware of them makes things better than they would be otherwise! I truly believe that. For example, when we were first married, I worried constantly about making sure dinner was ready, keeping the house picked up, and ironing his clothes. I would get really frustrated when he didn't seem to notice or care when I did those things!!! Well, here is why...........His primary love language is NOT acts of service it is quality time; FURTHERMORE, mine is WORDS OF ENCOURAGEMENT.

I am embarrassed about words of encouragement being mine. It sounds like it means I need to be praised constantly and doing things is about getting that praise! As a Christian, I know I don't do things for that reason. I think it is more about words effecting me and resonating with me more than they would for someone of a different language. I am a wordy! I love to talk and listen and banter and things really do sink in with me. That is my defense for my embarrassing LL! LOL!

Then there is the love languages of our children that must be learned for better communication purposes. What a cool thing to do! If you are like me, your home is NOT always the peaceful serene place your heart so desires. Let's face it......... when you have kids, there is DRAMA. I have been blessed with 3 sensitive children, and how I handle 1 child does NOT work for the other 2. Parenting is hard, and I truly believe knowing their individual love languages helps everyone.

In short, learn your family members love language. If you work closely with people, learn your co-workers love language. You may stop making Sally cry and you may gain a new close bond with someone that you clashed with before!!!

Here are the quizzes:


No comments:

Post a Comment